Friday 9 March 2012

How to travel light….in the eyes of WanLanun …..Part 1



Who cannot travel light?  when I was working in London in the mid to the late 90’s, the total opposite to the notion of travelling light can be explained really well by how the Arab community at Edgware Road travel to good ol’ England during their 55°C Summer Season in the desert of their own country. Everything in their possesion is shipped or even flown to their apartments in London awaiting their arrival. I mean the paintings, carpets, indoor tents, lighting anfd fixtures…they even bring in a few of their favourite cars!! I was quite surprised not to see a Camel race at Hyde Park!! Maybe this is due to the Bedouin culture of taking everything close to them everywhere they go???
Allo Sirrr, My Boss the Sheikh would like to check-in pleaseeeee....

Very common to see foreign plated Supercars zipping around Central London Roads...
Over the top??....U think???

Points to wonder...they separate the women and those with families from single men at restaurants, so are they discriminating the women or the single men are actually descriminated???

And according to my lovely wife with regards to Travel Light, this is easier said than done. In order to choose the outfit for dinner on night no 2, she would have to choose from 3 combinations….so if we spend 4 nights, that’s 12 outfit combinations to drag along…not including the handbags and shoes (Although now, over the years, she has learned to stick to mostly black…)

So, a large luggage that I would normally bring on a 2 week trip which includes my Board Papers and all, she would have the same for a 3 day 2 night short break…whatever I say or comment regarding this matter will be overruled by “You’re a man! You just don’t understand !!”…..well….she’s got a coupla points there….No 1: She re-affirms my gender as a MAN, No 2: I think Thermo Dynamics of  a solar powered plant in the Mojave Desert is much much simpler and less complicated than understanding the female being….
Thermo Dynamics....is easy in comparison !!!

Certain brasserie should match certain shoes which should match certain ear-rings apparently!!! And I thought it wouldn’t matter if I don’t bother (I am the Husband in case you’re wondering) …NO…it matters !!!  eventhough the only person that might ….I repeat…MIGHT…get a chance in seeing the three combination of apparel ‘live’ in action other than herself would be me….. you think….
So now it is clear….thanks to Air Asia where every gram of luggage is charged…I would give her 5 kilos of my share….the more she takes up with stuff from home…the less she have for shopping at the destination….so far, this seems to work (Which somehow translates to the black gothic widow persona wardrobe)
For those who wish that they can get a six months holiday… twice a year,  I beg you to please learn a thing or two about how to travel light AND you are not in-denial about taking everything with you but the kitchen sink….here is my priceless (Read USD$0 ) advice:

For me the 5 basics are :

1.To pack what you need only
2.Type of bags (luggage, Hand, knap-sack, Computer, money-bag)
2.To pack things with multipurpose or reusable qualities
3.To plan and pack electricals (Computer, handphones, alarms, GPS etc)
4. What you need not bring
5. What you can and should purchase at destination

To be continued in Part deux….

No comments:

Post a Comment